    RE: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    Excerpt of message (sent 3 July 2002) by Black_David@emc.com:
    > Replying to a couple of messages on this topic.
    >
    > --- Use of decimal for binary items
    > > 4.1
    > > binary-value includes regular-binary-value and large-binary-value.
    > > regular-binary-value is for strings less than 64 bits and allows decimal
    > > encoding. (It says less than 64 and decimal encoded binary strings are
    > > always in bytes so the largest decimal encoded binary would be 56 bits.)
    > >
    > > 10.4 SRP: N,g,s,A,B,M and H(A | M | K) are binary-values
    > > 10.5 CHAP: C and R are binary-values
    >
    > The only ones of these that should routinely fit in 64 bits are SRP's
    > g (usually a small integer, even though it's mathematically a member of
    > a very large binary field - I think Paul Koning missed the fact that
    > generators tend to be single-digit numbers) and s (doesn't need to be
    > a large number to get the job done).

    You're right about g.  As for S, it's the result of an exponentiation
    modulo N, so it's no more likely to be a small integer than the other
    SRP intermediate values.  Note that values supplied by the other end
    are involved (as in conventional D-H) so you don't have the ability to
    constrain your implementation to produce small S values.

    In other words, S, A, and B will be bignums with probability
    essentialy == 1.0, and allowing them ever to be encoded other than by
    the large-binary-value rules is a waste of effort.

        paul

Last updated: Wed Jul 03 20:18:51 2002
11111 messages in chronological order