    RE: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    There was NO such consensus.  Julo

    Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>

    07/02/2002 10:18 PM
    Please respond to Bill Studenmund

            To:        "THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1)" <pat_thaler@agilent.com>
            cc:        "LEMAY,KEVIN (A-Roseville,ex1)" <kevin_lemay@agilent.com>, Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            Subject:        RE: iSCSI: Decimal encoding - why 64 bits ?

    On Tue, 2 Jul 2002, THALER,PAT (A-Roseville,ex1) wrote:

    > Bill,
    >
    > I also thought that the result of the reflector discussion was
    > agreement that decimal would only be used for numbers and not be used
    > for strings that are sometimes longer than the 64 bit limit like CHAP
    > and SRP strings. That seems to be partially implemented in that the
    > Kerbos and SPKM sections call for large-binary-values, but it was done
    > incompletely.

    I looked at the list archive, and
    http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/mailinglists/ips/mail/msg10319.html
    is a comment by David indicating he saw concensus for not using base64 for
    numbers.

    I didn't find the thread part where I thought we agreed that we would
    use decimal only for numbers (and not for small binary strings).

    ??

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Mon Jul 08 19:18:53 2002