    Re: I bit in Text Request

    Julian:

    Three comments/questions:

    1. Another small cut-and-paste error in draft 13, section 9.12.2:
       in 2 places it says "Text Request" instead of "Login Request".

    2. Also in the 4 sections 9.10.2, 9.11.2, 9.12.2, and 9.13.7 (all the
       new sections about the C (Continue) Bit) the last sentence contains
       "must" -- I believe this should be "MUST" because things will break
       if this condition is not true.  For example, I believe the last
       sentence in 9.12.2 should read:
       "A Login Request with the C bit set to 1 MUST have the T bit set to 0."

    3. Is there (or should there be) any requirement on the I bit in a
       Text Request (Response) that is sent because a C bit was
       set (or the F bit not set) on a received Text Response (Request).
       To illustrate this, consider the example already in draft 13 Section
       9.10.4 on page 168.  (I have added line numbers for easy reference).

       1. I->T Text SendTargets=all (F=1, TTT=0xffffffff)
       2. T->I Text <part 1> (F=0,TTT=0x12345678)
       3. I->T Text <empty> (F=1,TTT=0x12345678)
       4. T->I Text <part 2> (F=0,TTT=0x12345678)
       5. I->T Text <empty> (F=1,TTT=0x12345678)
       n. T->I Text <part 2> (F=1,TTT=0x12345678)

       Suppose the very first Text Request in line 1 has the I bit set
       to 1, so it is an immediate command.  Is there any requirement that
       the follow-up Text Request in line 3 (or 5) also have the I bit set
       to 1?  Or the other way around, if the Text Request in line 1 has
       the I bit set to 0, can the Text Request in line 3 (or 5) have
       the I bit set to 1?

       Regardless of the answer to these questions, I have another:
       suppose the Text Request in line 1 has the I bit set to 1, and the
       Text Response in line 2 has the C bit set to 1.  Can the follow-up
       Text Request in line 3 (or 5) have the I bit set to 0 or is it
       required to have the I bit set to 1 as well?

       If there is a requirement on the I bit in a sequence of Text
       Requests (Responses) like this, then I believe the standard
       should explicitly state the requirement.  If there is no
       requirement, perhaps it might also be a good idea to make
       this explicit in the draft.

    Thanks

    Bob Russell
    InterOperability Lab