    RE: Auth method negotiation

    OK - Julo

    "Robert D. Russell" <rdr@io.iol.unh.edu>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    06/23/2002 02:17 PM
    Please respond to "Robert D. Russell"

            To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
            cc:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
            Subject:        RE: Auth method negotiation

    Julian:

    So now the last sentence of your suggested text reads:

    "If the next stage is FullFeaturePhase, the target MUST respond with
    a Login Response with the TSIH and the selected protocol version."

    However, I still would like to see the phrase "and the selected
    protocol version" removed, because ALL Login Responses sent by the
    target must contain the selected protocol version -- there is nothing
    special about the Login Response that causes the transition into
    FullFeaturePhase with respect to the protocol version information
    (i.e., the version-active field), but adding this phrase makes it
    sound as if there is.

    Thank you for your consideration.
    Bob Russell

    > Bob,
    >
    > Comments in text.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Julo
    >

    > "Robert D. Russell" <rdr@io.iol.unh.edu>
    >
    > 06/22/2002 06:25 PM
    > Please respond to "Robert D. Russell"
    >
    >         To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
    >         cc:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >         Subject:        RE: Auth method negotiation
    >

    > Julian:
    >
    > Just two minor comments -- in the very last sentence of
    > your suggested text ends with "and the protocol version".
    > Why is this necessary -- doesn't every Login response
    > have to carry identical values for version-max and
    > version-active?  Is the value in version-active
    > what you mean by "protocol version"?  If so, I would just
    > omit this phrase (because it raises the question as to
    > whether or not previous Login responses need to carry
    > version-active).
    >
    > +++ Version selected - the initiator has version min and max in the Login
    > request.
    > I should perhaps add selected +++
    >
    > Second comment -- the term "session id".  Do you mean the TSIH?
    > If so, I believe it should say TSIH explicitly.  If not, then
    > what do you mean  - the full ISID/TSIH?  If so, then again
    > this is misleading because all Login Responses have to carry
    > the ISID offered in the first Login Request.
    >
    > +++ I will replace session ID with TSIH +++
    > Thanks,
    > Bob Russell
    >

    > On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Julian Satran wrote:
    >

    > > How about the following text:
    > >
    > >           -When the initiator considers that it ready to conclude the
    > >             SecurityNegotiation stage it sets the T bit to 1 and the
    > NSG to
    > >             what it would like the next stage to be. The target will
    > then
    > >             set the T bit to 1 and set NSG to the next stage in the
    > >             response where it finishes sending its security keys. The
    > next
    > >             stage selected will be the one the target selected. If the
    > next
    > >             stage is FullFeaturePhase, the target MUST respond with a
    > >             Response with the Session ID and the protocol version.
    > >  Julo
    > >

    > >                       pat_thaler@agilen
    > >                       t.com                    To:
    > wrstuden@wasabisystems.com, chirag.wighe@windriver.com
    > >                       Sent by:                 cc:
    > ips@ece.cmu.edu
    > >                       owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  RE: Auth
    > method negotiation
    > >                       .edu
    > >

    > >                       06/22/2002 03:01
    > >                       AM
    > >                       Please respond to
    > >                       pat_thaler
    > >

    > > Bill,
    > >
    > > I agree that the target made an error in sending T=1 when it chose an
    > > authentication method.
    > >
    > > However, even if it was willing to skip negotiation it must return CHAP
    > > when offered AuthMethod=KRB5,SRP,CHAP,None.

> [...]

Last updated: Sun Jun 23 18:18:43 2002
10952 messages in chronological order