    RE: Auth method negotiation

    Julian:

    Just two minor comments -- in the very last sentence of
    your suggested text ends with "and the protocol version".
    Why is this necessary -- doesn't every Login response
    have to carry identical values for version-max and
    version-active?  Is the value in version-active
    what you mean by "protocol version"?  If so, I would just
    omit this phrase (because it raises the question as to
    whether or not previous Login responses need to carry
    version-active).

    Second comment -- the term "session id".  Do you mean the TSIH?
    If so, I believe it should say TSIH explicitly.  If not, then
    what do you mean  - the full ISID/TSIH?  If so, then again
    this is misleading because all Login Responses have to carry
    the ISID offered in the first Login Request.

    Thanks,
    Bob Russell

    On Sat, 22 Jun 2002, Julian Satran wrote:

    > How about the following text:
    >
    >           -When the initiator considers that it ready to conclude the
    >             SecurityNegotiation stage it sets the T bit to 1 and the NSG to
    >             what it would like the next stage to be. The target will then
    >             set the T bit to 1 and set NSG to the next stage in the Login
    >             response where it finishes sending its security keys. The next
    >             stage selected will be the one the target selected. If the next
    >             stage is FullFeaturePhase, the target MUST respond with a Login
    >             Response with the Session ID and the protocol version.
    >  Julo
    >

    >                       pat_thaler@agilen
    >                       t.com                    To:       wrstuden@wasabisystems.com, chirag.wighe@windriver.com
    >                       Sent by:                 cc:       ips@ece.cmu.edu
    >                       owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  RE: Auth method negotiation
    >                       .edu
    >

    >                       06/22/2002 03:01
    >                       AM
    >                       Please respond to
    >                       pat_thaler
    >

    > Bill,
    >
    > I agree that the target made an error in sending T=1 when it chose an
    > authentication method.
    >
    > However, even if it was willing to skip negotiation it must return CHAP
    > when offered AuthMethod=KRB5,SRP,CHAP,None.
    >
    > 4.3.2 says "-The target MUST reply with the first option in the list it
    > supports and is allowed to use for the specific initiator
    > unless it does not support any in which case it MUST answer
    > with "Reject" (see also Section 4.2 Text Mode Negotiation).
    > The parameters are encoded in UTF8 as key=value. For security
    > parameters, see Chapter 10."
    >
    > So if the target supports CHAP and is allowed to use CHAP for an initiator
    > it MUST reply with CHAP or an earlier alternative in the list when offered
    > CHAP before None for AuthMethod. It cannot reply None. If the initiator
    > would have preferred "None" over "CHAP" it should have placed it before
    > CHAP in the list.
    >
    > I think that the next text in 4.3.2 is a bit confusing:
    > "-The initiator must be aware of the imminent completion of the
    > SecurityNegotiation stage and MUST set the T bit to 1 and the
    > NSG to what it would like the next stage to be. The target
    > will answer with a Login response with the T bit set to 1 and
    > the NSG to what it would like the next stage to be. The next
    > stage selected will be the one the target selected. If the
    > next stage is FullFeaturePhase, the target MUST respond with
    > a Login Response with the Session ID and the protocol version."
    >
    > I think "aware of imminent completion" means that the target has sent its
    > last key=value of the security negotiation but it doesn't seem a very clear
    > way to say it.
    > Also, the next sentence is not always true. The target might not be ready
    > to set the T bit in the answering Login Response. It might have required
    > more than one PDU to send its final key(s) of the security negotiation.
> [...]

Last updated: Sat Jun 22 18:18:46 2002
10946 messages in chronological order