    iSCSI: iSCSI untagged task and SAM-2 SIMPLE task?

    • To: iSCSI <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: iSCSI: iSCSI untagged task and SAM-2 SIMPLE task?
    • From: Luben Tuikov <luben@splentec.com>
    • Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2002 16:56:55 -0400
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    What is the iSCSI ``Untagged'' task (9.3.1)?

    SAM-2, 4.9.1 The Task Object, says:

    `` An untagged task is represented by an I_T_L nexus
      (see 4.10) and is composed of a definition of the work
      to be performed by the logical unit, and implicitly
      a SIMPLE task attribute (see 7.5).''

    and

    `` Also, an untagged task is assumed to have a SIMPLE task
      attribute, leaving the initiator no control over its
      relationship to other tasks in the task set.''

    So, what is the iSCSI ``Untagged'' task?
    Shouldn't that be a SIMPLE task? And get rid of
    the ``Untagged'' task?

    Also SAM-2, 4.9.2 Task Tags says:

    `` A tag is a field containing up to 64 bits that is a
       component of an I_T_L_Q nexus. An initiator assigns
       tag values in each I_T_L_Q nexus in a way that ensures
       that the nexus uniqueness requirements stated in 4.9.1
       are met.''

    If the initiator assigns task tags in an I_T_L_Q nexus,
    how are they known to the target in terms of iSCSI?

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Fri Jun 21 21:18:45 2002
10935 messages in chronological order