    Re: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

    > TCP/IP Illustrated numbers bits with bit 0 as the
    > most significant. My books on Sonet number bits
    > in a byte from 1 to 8. I guess you could argue
    > these are not books on computer architecture, but
    > the point is that not everyone numbers bits the
    > same.

    Uuuh, here we go again...

    Yes, I can argue that those are NOT books
    on computer architecure. Let me get home
    I'll send you the titles/authors/ISBN
    of a few books on Computer Architecture
    which use the NATURAL bit ordering:

    2^(x+1) > 2^x, x >= 0,
    so it only _makes_sense_ to say that
    bit x+1 is more significant than bit x.

    Take the number 791, is the 2rd digit
    more significant than the 1nd?
    Well: 791 = 7*10^2 + 9*10^1 + 1*10^0.

    > If you will read 1.3.1 through 1.3.3, they do
    > explicitly state the significance of bits in
    > iSCSI words, half-words and bytes.

    Yep, and you were complaining that it was
    200 pages away from 11.1 where the CRC
    digest was --- or was that in a private
    email? Trying to score points?

    > Julian's new description is accurate and clear.

    Are you sure? Are you really sure?

    > Item 8 in your description is unclear and confusing
    > because the bits do not "follow" each other in the
    > order you state (and any viewing of bits in a message
    > as a serial stream is entirely hypothetical).

    Here is 8:

    8) The message sent is P and appended at the end are the
       bit coefficients of CRC(x), with x^31 bit coefficient
       first, then x^30, etc.

    That is after you send P, send CRC(x) as indicated.
    What doesn't follow what?

    Of course it is hypothetical...

    Pat, let me ask you this: Is Mathematics hypothetical?

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 20:18:54 2002
10791 messages in chronological order