    Re: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    Luben,

    We are writing based on IETF rules. You are not reading a book - you are reading an IETF draft!

    Julo

    Luben Tuikov <luben@splentec.com>
    Sent by: luben@ns.splentec.com

    06/13/2002 10:19 PM
    Please respond to Luben Tuikov

            To:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
            cc:        iSCSI <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            Subject:        Re: iSCSI: 12-97 Bit Rule

    Julian Satran wrote:

    > Luben,
    >
    > The draft has figure that are an integral part of it.
    > In every one of those bit 7 is the least significant.
    > I don't know what your NORMALLY means.

    Julian, any book you open on computer architecture,
    assumes that bit 7 is more significant than bit 6,
    simply because 2^7 > 2^6.

    Stipulating that bit 7 is less significant than
    bit 6, needs explicitly to be said so, NOT
    inferred from ``figures in the text''.

    Nevertheless, as you may have already noticed,
    the algorithm which I sent you, is _independent_
    of iSCSI's implication that bit 7 is less significant
    than bit 6.

    So, anywhich way you order the bits in the bytes
    for the rest of the draft, the algoritm would
    produce the same results, simply because
    it explicitly mentions ordering in step 1 (and 2).

    --
    Luben

Last updated: Thu Jun 13 19:19:20 2002
10780 messages in chronological order