    RE: iSCSI: 7.2.1 CHAP Considerations (12-98)

    How about:

      When CHAP is used with secret shorter than 96 bits,
      a compliant implementation MUST NOT continue with
      the login step in which it should send a CHAP response
      (CHAP_R - see 10.5) unless it can verify that IPsec
      encryption is being used to protect the connection.

    On initiator-only authentication this puts the responsibility
    only on the initiator implementation who surely knows the
    secret and its length.

      Regards,
         Ofer

    Ofer Biran