    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Julian Satran
    Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 4:28 PM
    To: Mallikarjun C.
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; Julian Satran; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: changing MaxPDUDataLength

    Mallikarjun,

    The question was general and not specific to MaxRecv....
    Although we say that negotiation is symmetric we don't have any
    mechanism
    through which a target can say it wants to start negotiation something
    (sort of similar but not as strong as a the "request logout" -
    "request to
    negotiate" that will require the initiator to issue a text request and
    kick-off a negotiation.

    Julo

                          "Mallikarjun C."
                          <cbm@rose.hp.com>        To:
    <ips@ece.cmu.edu>, Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
                          Sent by:                 cc:
                          owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  Re: iSCSI:
    changing MaxPDUDataLength
                          .edu

                          06/11/2002 10:50
                          PM
                          Please respond to
                          "Mallikarjun C."

    >  I also realized that we don't have "negotiation prompt" from the
    target.
    >  I am not sure that we need one.

    I am not sure about it either.

    My preference is not to add this.  It appears to me that a target does
    have
    the option of dropping the connection today if it can't work with
    non-ULPDU-contained
    segments for too long.  I suspect that the target would do the same if
    (we
    introduced the "negotiation prompt" and) the initiator
    doesn't/couldn't
    honor the
    "negotiation prompt".

    Thanks.