    From: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu [mailto:owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu]On Behalf Of
    Mallikarjun C.
    Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 2:35 PM
    To: Eddy Quicksall; Julian Satran
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: changing MaxPDUDataLength

    Eddy,

    I am not clear on why you think the target code becomes messy on
    a PDU size change.  The last para in section 4.4 states the
    following -

    "Parameters negotiated by a text exchange negotiation sequence become
    effective only after the negotiation sequence is completed."

    Since the target gets to complete a text negotiation with a Text
    Response
    PDU, it can time the applicability of a changed
    MaxRecvDataSegmentLength.

    Requiring that an initiator must idle the connection before changing
    this
    parameter, IMHO, is counter-productive when there's a dynamic PMTU
    degradation in the presence of long-running commands (writes in
    particular).
    Once the initiator starts the renegotiation, target would ideally want
    to quickly
    renegotiate its receive size as well to receive ULPDU-contained
    segments.

    In short, seems to me that the draft is saying what you would like.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture