    Re: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    I don't see why this thread is going forever. There are other scsi
    transports that deal with these types of issues without having to define
    scsi transport protocol keys to indicate vendor_id, product_id and
    product_rev. You can do one of the following :

    a) Parse out the DNS name of the target device from the exchanged
    TargetName key, if you're an initiator. Similarly, parse out the DNS
    name of the initiator from the exchanged InitiatorName key, if you're a
    target. Use the DNS name as an indication of which device you're
    speaking to and add your device specific tweaks based on this.

    If the InitiatorName or TargetName is in EUI-64 format, you can obtain
    the vendor_id information from the upper 3 bytes of the EUI-64 name.

    b) Send INQUIRY to LUN 0 to determine the vendor_id, product_id and
    product_revisison_level of the device. Use this data to perform any
    device specific tweaks in your software/firmware.

    c) Provide out-of-band static configuration mechanisms in your initiator
    or target to assign a vendor specific identity to 1 or more initiators
    or targets. This allows the target configuration personnel to configure
    the device appropriately for the initiators it is speaking to.

    I don't see any need to be defining iscsi login keys to duplicate the
    vendor_id, product_id information.

    - Santosh

    --
    The world is so fast that there are days when the person who says
    it can't be done is interrupted by the person who is doing it.

Last updated: Tue Jun 11 16:18:44 2002
10664 messages in chronological order