    Re: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Mon, 10 Jun 2002, Luben Tuikov wrote:

    > Bill Studenmund wrote:
    > >
    > > I must say that's not what I had in mind when I coined the phrase. I don't
    > > think the fact we let folks make different choices at MAY points is bad.
    > > That's the point.
    >
    > You (as Paul) didn't read this sentence (quoted here from above):

    Yes, I did.

    > Any time you see ``MAY'' or ``may'' in the draft and a target
    > and initiator arrive at different outcomes _just_ by taking one
    > or the other route, you have ``compliant-non-interoperability''.
    >
    > Which is what you are describing in more ``baby-terms'' below.

    No, that's not the same thing. You are saying EVERY may/MAY is a problem.
    I disagree with that. I'll agree that SOME may be a problem, and that we
    want to find them.

    The difference is that the ones I recall describe one side as being able
    to make a choice. If that choice is clearly communicated to the other
    side, then we are fine. I think we communicate that all of the time, but
    would appreciate finding out if we don't.

    > Read my reply to Paul, where I give 2 links to emails
    > where this is described well -- this has since been fixed
    > in the draft.

    Cool!

    > > *Those* are what I was thinking of when I came up with compliant-non-
    > > interoperability. :-)
    >
    > But you are merely repeating what I'm saying above... (and in my previous
    > email).

    No, the difference is I don't think that a MAY automatically lands us in
    trouble. I agree that most trouble cases start with a MAY, but I don't
    think the presence of a MAY automatically leads us to trouble.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Mon Jun 10 17:19:14 2002
10644 messages in chronological order