    Re: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Fri, 7 Jun 2002, Luben Tuikov wrote:

    > Bill Studenmund wrote:
    > >

    > > That comment reflects a very nice ideal. My concern is that I'm not sure
    > > we're there. What about Luben's comments that there are existing
    > > interoperability problems among compliant systems? AS I understand him,
    > > compliant *iSCSI* systems. ??
    >
    > I haven't checked for those lately, (especially in the login procedure),
    > but any time you see ``MAY'' or ``may'' in the draft and a target
    > and initiator arrive at different outcomes _just_ by taking one
    > or the other route, you have ``compliant-non-interoperability''
    > (as you coined the term).

    I must say that's not what I had in mind when I coined the phrase. I don't
    think the fact we let folks make different choices at MAY points is bad.
    That's the point.

    I thought most of them were of the form, you MAY close the connection, or
    you MAY do some error cleanup & try to recover. So both sides know
    something happened.

    What I'd be worried about are places where different sides both thing
    things are ok, but get on entirely different pages as to what exactly is
    going on.

    *Those* are what I was thinking of when I came up with compliant-non-
    interoperability. :-)

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Mon Jun 10 15:18:46 2002