    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    > Regarding the management component, it is very useful to
    > have the vendor product name and revision number available
    > as part of the iSCSI login negotiation, this would allow
    > the developer/administrator to save the login trace to syslog
    > or something similar for immediate or future analysis or
    > bug reporting.  Without this information embedded in the trace,
    > it would be very difficult to go back to the old log and
    > know for sure which revision of the product you were dealing
    > with.

    Not a function of the login.  This is a function of the
    MIB at the management level and of the SCSI Inquiry at
    the driver level.  Unless of course you don't believe in
    standard internet and storage management protocols :-)

    > Accessing iSCSI MIB requires a separate step, path, management
    > tool.  Some low end products may not provide it at all.
    > And most importantly, it won't help you if you have to analyze
    > some old traces.

    Are there actually devices in an iSCSI environment that will
    have no MIB?

    > Think of this scenario, suppose you are building an iSCSI HBA
    > and you need to do login interoperability testings with 10
    > different iSCSI targets, wouldn't it be nice that all you have
    > to do is to run the tests and save the login traces, knowing that
    > the product id and revision is embedded in the trace.

    Nope.  I know who they are by their MIB or CIM information.

    > I feel that this kind of information should definitely be there,
    > if X key is not appropriate, I would suggest to use regular key.

    I feel that this information is already there and creating
    a redundant and non-standard mechanism for replicating this
    information is a real problem.

Last updated: Sun Jun 09 15:18:49 2002
10614 messages in chronological order