    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    Hi Bob,

    Regarding the management component, it is very useful to
    have the vendor product name and revision number available
    as part of the iSCSI login negotiation, this would allow
    the developer/administrator to save the login trace to syslog
    or something similar for immediate or future analysis or
    bug reporting.  Without this information embedded in the trace,
    it would be very difficult to go back to the old log and
    know for sure which revision of the product you were dealing
    with.

    Accessing iSCSI MIB requires a separate step, path, management
    tool.  Some low end products may not provide it at all.
    And most importantly, it won't help you if you have to analyze
    some old traces.

    Think of this scenario, suppose you are building an iSCSI HBA
    and you need to do login interoperability testings with 10
    different iSCSI targets, wouldn't it be nice that all you have
    to do is to run the tests and save the login traces, knowing that
    the product id and revision is embedded in the trace.

    I feel that this kind of information should definitely be there,
    if X key is not appropriate, I would suggest to use regular key.

    Regards,
    -Dennis

Last updated: Sun Jun 09 20:18:34 2002
10616 messages in chronological order