    RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    Ken,

    In my experience, "vendor specific" is a synonym for
    "non-interoperable".  Realistically, if there is any tuning
    to be done with respect to the iSCSI transport behavior, then
    it should be done through standardized mechanisms during
    the login, not through vendor specific mechanisms.

    The management component already has standard mechanisms
    for determining such information, including MIBs and CIM
    objects.  The operational components already have standard
    mechanisms for determining such information, including
    SCSI INQUIRY commands.  I cannot see how this additional
    (non-standard) mechanism for capturing this information is
    going to help iSCSI achieve its goals.

    Those legacy devices that are being supported by non-standard
    programs and non-standard protocol events are simply NOT
    compliant iSCSI devices.  If anyone cares about using them
    in an iSCSI environment, they must be upgraded to iSCSI
    compliance.

    Bob

Last updated: Fri Jun 07 14:18:44 2002
10588 messages in chronological order