    From: Bill Studenmund [mailto:wrstuden@wasabisystems.com]
    Sent: Thursday, June 06, 2002 4:24 PM
    To: Dennis Young
    Cc: 'Bob Mastors'; Ken Sandars; Ips Reflector (E-mail)
    Subject: RE: iSCSI: Some proposed vendor-specific (X-) keys

    On Thu, 6 Jun 2002, Dennis Young wrote:

    > I think this is useful besides run time interoperability purpose
    > (this is a hot button and can be argued either way, just like the
    > version # of the draft), such as for reporting problems on a remote
    > device to the device manufacturer.

    I agree with Dennis.

    I think though that Paul is right that these keys should NOT be used as an
    excuse to permit interoperability problems. They can though be
    informative. If a customer has problems with my code, I'd love to have
    revision info, which could be conveniently conveyed with these keys.

    As to the poster this morning (whose message I deleted too fast) who said
    this is wrong because the info should be available in SCSI sense data, I
    disagree. Consider the case of an iscsi->parallel scsi gateway (a box that
    has a traditional scsi drive, and exports it over iSCSI). There the scsi
    sense data & mode pages are (well might be) those of the attached drive,
    which can be from a different vendor than the iscsi device.

    Also, don't forget we're talking about an optional thing (they are X-keys
    after all). :-)

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Fri Jun 07 14:18:44 2002