    RE: iSCSI: keys/parameter dependence

    I stand corrected.  If you want to order batches, you must
    not only transmit the keys that you want to batch, but you must
    also not transmit another batch of keys until you have received the
    replies for the outstanding batch.

    You must also do this in a manner consistent with the
    stage of login or post-login operation that is being performed,
    as specified in 4.3.

    I haven't studied all aspects of this carefully, but I would
    expect that the processing must proceed on a batch by batch
    basis, since it is never clear when the Final-Response exchange
    will be requested and the target must have completed whatever
    negotiation is going on with respect to previous batch exchanges.
    I would not expect the target to be allowed to hang around doing nothing
    until Final-Response exchanges were requested.  This seems to be
    what section 4.4 says, at least for post-login activities.

    I was a little surprised to see that post-login negotiations of
    a parameter a second time without an intervening reset
    constitute a protocol error.  Some of the values, notably
    those duplicating MODE SENSE/SELECT parameters, have traditionally
    been renegotiable as desired by the SCSI device without an
    intervening reset, and I would expect that capability to have
    been mapped into the key=value negotations.

    Bob

    > Is this true?  When the C bit is not set, there appears to be
    > no requirement in the standard that the receiver is forced to
    > reply to the keys it has received at that time -- it MUST reply
    > to every key eventually, but just having the C bit = 0 does
    > not seem to require it to reply then -- it could send an empty
    > reply PDU, or could offer new keys of its own at that time
    > and delay responding to anything until "everything is on the
    > table".  Comments/corrections please.

Last updated: Tue Jun 04 16:18:42 2002
10502 messages in chronological order