    From: Paul Koning [mailto:ni1d@arrl.net]
    Sent: Friday, May 31, 2002 11:29 AM
    To: pat_thaler@agilent.com
    Cc: Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com; ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: RE: iSCSI-12-95: header digest error clarification

    >>>>> "pat" == pat thaler <pat_thaler@agilent.com> writes:

     pat> Julian, I'm not sure how explicit we have to be about the
     pat> solution, but right now there is a MUST that isn't really
     pat> achievable. It says one MUST discard the PDU but the
     pat> implementation doesn't know what the PDU is. One possibility is:

     pat> ... MUST close the connection or attempt to find a valid header
     pat> and discard everything from the bad header to the valid header.

     pat> or

     pat> ... MUST attempt to discard the PDU. However, if the length
     pat> field was corrupted, the boundary of the PDU is unclear. If the
     pat> apparent header following the discarded PDU also has a digest
     pat> error, the initiator/target MAY close the connection or attempt
     pat> to find a valid header and discard everything from the bad
     pat> header to the valid header.

    How about a simpler statement:
        ... MUST either discard the PDU, if it can determine where the PDU
        ends, or close the connection.

        paul

Last updated: Fri May 31 16:18:41 2002
10439 messages in chronological order