    RE: iSCSI:Can each do there own thing?

    On Thu, 30 May 2002 pat_thaler@agilent.com wrote:

    > On Wed, 29 May 2002, Martins Krikis wrote:
    >
    > [very large snip]

    > > 1. "no-originating on split-key scheme"
    > > 2. "no-originating (except declarations) on split-key scheme"
    > > 3. "no-originating on split-pair scheme"
    > > 4. "no-originating (except declarations) on split-pair scheme"
    > > 5. "empty-PDUs until end-of-data scheme"
    > > 6. "empty-PDU on split-pair scheme"
    >   7. "no-originating until end-of-data scheme"
    >
    > (I added 7)
    > My preference is for 5 or 7.
    >
    > I think having to check for a split key or pair before making
    > the decision on what to send is undesireable.

    Agreed.

    > However, I would also like to point out that 5 is almost
    > equivalent to allowing an unlimited PDU size (or a PDU size up to
    > the buffer size at the end of 4.1) during negotiation. The only
    > difference is that the receiver can pace the arrival of the
    > data by sending blank PDUs with 5 but it is not clear to me
    > that that makes much implementation difference when one must be
    > able to buffer the whole negotiation.

    I agree that with 5 you do have to be able to buffer the whole negotiation
    payload. But that size only has to be 16k if you don't do the long-key
    cryptographic techniques, and 64k if you do.

    If an extended negotiation payload weighs in at over 64k, I think it's
    fair to indicate an error (if you're the target) and close the connection.

    If you aren't doing long-key crypto negotiation (kerberos and SPKM AFAIK),
    it would be fine to stop after 16k.

    Thoughts?

    Take care,

    Bill