    From: Julian Satran [mailto:Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 29, 2002 9:36 AM
    To: Paul Koning
    Cc: ips@ece.cmu.edu; owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: Re: iSCSI: Confusing wording in description of Status-Class

    I will say exception but not MUST as you may not to follow redirection before consulting an oracle :-) (only partly joking).

    Julo

    Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    05/29/2002 07:14 PM
    Please respond to Paul Koning

            To:        ips@ece.cmu.edu
            cc:

    We have run into misinterpretations of the description of Status-Class
    (section 9.13.5).  As written, it can be misread to say that
    Redirection (Status-Class = 1) is an error, and initiators can treat a
    redirection response from a target by failing the I/O rather than by
    following the redirection pointer.

    The current wording is:

        A non-zero Status-Class indicates an exception. In this case, Status-
        Class is sufficient for a simple initiator to use when handling
        errors, without having to look at the Status-Detail.  The Status-
        Detail allows finer-grained error recovery for more sophisticated
        initiators, as well as better information for error logging.
          1 - Redirection - indicates that the initiator must take further
               action to complete the request. This is usually due to the
               target moving to a different address. ...

    I would propose the following rewording:

        A non-zero Status-Class indicates an exception. In this case, Status-
        Class is sufficient for a simple initiator to use when handling
        exceptionss, without having to look at the Status-Detail.  The Status-
        Detail allows finer-grained exception handling for more sophisticated
        initiators, as well as better information for error logging.
          1 - Redirection - indicates that the initiator MUST take further
               action to complete the request. This is usually due to the
               target moving to a different address. ...

    The wording changes are: replace "error" by "exception" in the first
    paragraph, since redirects are not errors, and use "MUST" rather than
    "must" in the description of redirect.

          paul

Last updated: Wed May 29 14:18:38 2002
10382 messages in chronological order