    iSCSI: Confusing wording in description of Status-Class

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: iSCSI: Confusing wording in description of Status-Class
    • From: Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>
    • Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 12:14:41 -0400
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    We have run into misinterpretations of the description of Status-Class
    (section 9.13.5).  As written, it can be misread to say that
    Redirection (Status-Class = 1) is an error, and initiators can treat a
    redirection response from a target by failing the I/O rather than by
    following the redirection pointer.

    The current wording is:

         A non-zero Status-Class indicates an exception. In this case, Status-
         Class is sufficient for a simple initiator to use when handling
         errors, without having to look at the Status-Detail.  The Status-
         Detail allows finer-grained error recovery for more sophisticated
         initiators, as well as better information for error logging.
           1 - Redirection - indicates that the initiator must take further
                action to complete the request. This is usually due to the
                target moving to a different address. ...

    I would propose the following rewording:

         A non-zero Status-Class indicates an exception. In this case, Status-
         Class is sufficient for a simple initiator to use when handling
         exceptionss, without having to look at the Status-Detail.  The Status-
         Detail allows finer-grained exception handling for more sophisticated
         initiators, as well as better information for error logging.
           1 - Redirection - indicates that the initiator MUST take further
                action to complete the request. This is usually due to the
                target moving to a different address. ...

    The wording changes are: replace "error" by "exception" in the first
    paragraph, since redirects are not errors, and use "MUST" rather than
    "must" in the description of redirect.

           paul

Last updated: Thu May 30 16:18:37 2002
10422 messages in chronological order