    iSCSI:Can each do there own thing?

    I am starting a new thread.

    I am not sure that I have gotten all the nuances of the various proposals
    here, but ...

    I think I read, that if you receive a spanned PDU, that some want to keep
    some state and continue processing, while other are saying that it is
    easier if only an empty PDU is returned, until the complete PDU with
    nothing spanning is received.

    I may have this wrong, but the focus seems to be on the receiver of the
    spanned PDU, and the issues it has in keeping state etc.

    Now the rules we have now in the current draft level 12-94,  some seem to
    say, are workable.  But if someone sends empty PDUs, etc., that seems to
    work too, and some folks (at least 2) think that is a good idea.

    So are we at a point that says that empty PDUs are OK, and if used, you
    need to remember less stuff, but if you want to remember state, then go
    ahead, but be sure you do everything correctly?

    Let me ask two question then:

    1. Is what I summarized correct with respect to the receiver?  If not
    please itemize, the items that are broken, so that we can work on one at a
    time.

    2. Is there an important issue with the offering side, that is not covered
    with the current spec. and will things work on the offering side if the
    Null PDU us sent from the receiver?   Again, if no, please itemize.

    I get the feeling, and I maybe wrong here, that the various sides are
    trying to evangelize each other, even if the other side's approach works.
    I am not a big fan of evangelizing at this point.

    I am asking for a compromise that you folks can agree with that says
    something like, "yea, you can do it that way you silly so & so, but my way
    works too perhaps better", and the spec covers both implementations.  This
    might not be possible but I am not sure we are converging.  And we need to
    within a day or so.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Martins Krikis <mkrikis@yahoo.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 05/28/2002 07:53:23 PM

    Sent by:    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu