    RE: [iSCSI:] Logout request -- reason? Correction

    Luben,

    I was refering to your statement "I was under the impression that byte 1 in
    BHS is a flags byte -- i.e. bit values." The BHS is what is defined in the
    template which says it is opcode specific, not a flags byte. If you want to
    be able to count on it being a flags byte, than that additional information
    would need to be added to the template.

    Some PDU types have 2-bit fields in the first byte (e.g. CSG and NSG), some
    have 3-bit fields. All these values are described as numeric values (e.g.
    CSG/NSG is described as having values 0,1 and 3). I don't see how a 2-bit
    value is okay in that location but a 7-bit value is not okay. I also note
    that it appears that only 3 bits of the Function field are actually used
    currently as the

    As an aside, I don't see that the spec describing a 2 to 8 bit field in
    decimal, hex or binary makes any difference to what the hardware/software
    does in processing those bits when the field is just a mapping of a type to
    a set of bits. It would be different if one was expected to do arithmetic
    operations on the field. The existing uses of the first byte are all
    mappings of a meaning to a bit pattern regardless of the representation of
    that bit pattern in the field. Of course, some day it could be used for a
    real number.

    It isn't a sound architectural idea to assume that fields which are OpCode
    specific will have a consistency of format across opcodes. If it isn't in
    the template then future OpCodes may be created that use that byte in
    different ways.

    I understood what you meant and I don't have to have the same reason to
    object as other people.

    Pat