    Re: iSCSI base64 and 12-92

    If base 64 is neede for large integers there is no good reason to test that it is not used for short integers.

    Julo

    Paul Koning <ni1d@arrl.net>

    05/23/2002 07:57 PM
    Please respond to Paul Koning

            To:        wrstuden@wasabisystems.com
            cc:        Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL, ips@ece.cmu.edu
            Subject:        Re: iSCSI base64 and  12-92

    Excerpt of message (sent 23 May 2002) by Bill Studenmund:
    > On Thu, 23 May 2002, Julian Satran wrote:
    >
    > > Dear colleagues,
    > >
    > > I looked again at cryptography needs and I think that large numbers will
    > > be needed and base64 is a decent and not invented here way to express
    > > them.
    >
    > Just curious, which alogorythm needs them?

    I was wondering the same.  Quite possibly I muddled things by talking
    earlier about cases that don't actually appear in iSCSI.  The ones
    that DO appear in iSCSI all involve strings, not numbers.  (That
    includes SRP -- it uses large integers at some steps of the algorithm,
    but externally at the protocol level it is specified in terms of
    strings.)

    Apart from that, I don't see any reason at all why that means we
    should allow Base64 for "ordinary" integers.  I remember a number of
    comments objecting to that idea and none in favor of it, nor any
    reason why it should be done.  So why do it?

          paul

Last updated: Fri May 24 14:18:33 2002
10304 messages in chronological order