    RE: iSCSI Inband authentication (SRP/CHAP) - proposed resolution

    Just to make sure I understand the requirement; if CHAP is used in today's
    conventional way with a human-generated password, iSCSI login MUST be
    protected using ESP encryption (and integrity.) That seems to be a
    reasonable solution, given the goal of protecting the login secret.

    But, since the IPsec SA must be in place before iSCSI login to give this
    protection, and because each iSCSI session begins with a login, that
    indicates that the full-featured portion of these iSCSI sessions MUST also
    be protected by the same ESP encryption (and integrity) negotiated to
    protect the login.

    In other words, if you use CHAP without a strong key (and has already been
    pointed out, there is no way of verifying key strength during use) use of
    IPsec ESP encryption has been mandated as a MUST USE for the entire iSCSI
    session.  (Or, as one associate put it, we're not mandating crypto across a
    few handshake frames, but across all data as well.)

    If I'm reading this incorrectly, please correct me.

    - milan

Last updated: Wed May 22 12:18:34 2002
10199 messages in chronological order