    From: Paul Koning [mailto:ni1d@arrl.net]
    Sent: Tuesday, May 21, 2002 11:54 AM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu; luben@splentec.com
    Cc: Julian_Satran@il.ibm.com
    Subject: Re: MaxRecvPDULength question

    Excerpt of message (sent 21 May 2002) by Luben Tuikov:
    > The key name ``MaxRecvPDULength'' doesn't imply
    > <MaxRecvDataLength>? Why is it considered as
    > such then?
    >
    > I suggest that ``MaxRecvPDULength'' be set to mean
    > the maximum PDU length, NOT the maximum _data_ length.
    >
    > Reason: It is _faster_ to get the PDU off the the TCP
    > data stack in _one_ (system) call, rather than two (system) calls.
    > This _would_ improve implementaions, more so for user-space such.
    >
    > But lets still keep the size of the PDU a power of 2.
    > (This would imply that the non-existent MaxRecvDataLength
    > to MaxRecvPDULength - 48.)
    >
    > Comments?

    I can't quite figure out what you're after, but it doesn't sound
    good.

    There are two parameters of interest: the size of the entire iSCSI
    PDU, and the size of the data portion of the PDU.

    It doesn't matter a whole lot which of the two you specify, because
    the difference is simply the iSCSI header size.  I find it useful to
    think in terms of the data length, because that relates to alignment
    of data going into the storage machinery, etc.

    Are you proposing to rename the key so its name is
    "MaxRecvDataLength"?  Yes, that would be more accurate, but why bother
    at this point?

    The overall PDU size current is NOT a power of two given the current
    defaults, and should not be, because that would make the data length a
    weird value.

    As for your comment about 1 vs. 2 system calls, I don't understand
    what system calls you're talking about.  The performance argument is
    not meaningful because it may only be done once per system boot, or at
    the very worst once per login.

Last updated: Wed May 22 16:18:38 2002
10211 messages in chronological order