    iSCSI: BASE64 and numerical values

    Yes for regular numerical values it makes sense. We will have to keep it for large numerical values used for cryptography.  Julo
    ----- Forwarded by Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM on 05/18/2002 11:18 AM -----
    Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    05/15/2002 05:46 AM
    Please respond to Bill Studenmund

            To:        <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            cc:
            Subject:        iSCSI: BASE64 and numerical values

    I was looking at the latest draft (Julian's 12-90.pdf), and thinking about
    this. I see some problems, and I'd like to suggest we DROP support for
    using base64 to encode numberical values. Definitely keep it for binary
    strings, just not numbers.

    The reason I suggest this is base64 encodes arbitrary-length binary
    streams. To consider that stream a number, we need to add some more
    structure. "Network Byte Order" is the first thing that comes to mind.
    We've got ntohs() and ntohl(), also known as ntoh16() and ntoh32() on some
    systems, which will save the day.

    Unfortunatlely since the base64 stream can be arbitrary length, we'd need
    something like ntoh24() too. We could after all have used just three bytes
    to encode that number, especially since the spec discourages leading
    zero-characters (encoded as 'A's).

    Also, since regular-numerical-values can go up to just shy of 2**64, in
    principle the only thing saving us from needing ntoh40(), ntoh48(), and
    ntoh56() is the fact that I don't think we have any numerical parameters
    that have valid values that large.

    So I'd like to suggest we disallow using base64 to encode numbers.
    Byte-swapping an arbitrary-length byte stream seems really messy.
    Alternatively, I'd like to suggest we constrain base64-encoded numbers to
    be 1, 2, 4, or 8 bytes long when decoded, and to be in network byte order.

    Sorry for not catching this last week when we were looking at section 4.1.

    Thoughts?

    Take care,

    Bill

    ----- Forwarded by Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM on 05/18/2002 11:18 AM -----