    Re: ISCSI: CmdSN in non-leading login

    John,

    If an initiator opens a new connection on a session and in the first login
    request uses the current session CmdSN, the lifetime of that CmdSN
    continues all the way through until the completion of the first
    non-immediate command on that new connection.

    This means that the initiator has to reserve the use of that CmdSN for the
    first non-immediate command on that particular session.  That's stupid.

    Especially bearing in mind that it could be pumping commands like crazy
    down other open connections in the session.

    There is also another side effect, if the login takes any length of time,
    like computing a DH or having to make external calls to a Radius or a
    Kerberos server, then because this CmdSN is outstanding, the other
    connections in the session will block as soon as the command window is filled.

    The final sentence in 9.12.8 is meaningless for a non-leading
    connection.  The target either has to block the whole session until the
    login is completed, or run the risk of corrupting session state.

    Mark

Last updated: Fri May 10 14:18:31 2002
10058 messages in chronological order