    Re: ISCSI: CmdSN in non-leading login

    On Fri, 10 May 2002, Mark S. Edwards wrote:

    > There are a couple of problems here for the target.  At what point is a
    > non-leading connection considered to be part of the session ?  Is it the
    > moment that the login request is received with a non-zero TSIH ?  Or is it
    > only when the non-leading login succeeds and it enters full feature phase ?

    I think the target shouldn't let anything from a new connection influence
    things until after at least the security phase has been passed. Otherwise
    we have a security hole. After operational negotiation would probably be
    best.

    > So, should an initiator set the CmdSN in the first login request to zero
    > and only synchronise with the session command stream after full feature
    > phase is established ?  This is my preferred option.
    >
    > What happens if the initiator tries using the current session command
    > sequence number is that whilst the login negotiation occurs, other
    > connections within the session can be issuing new commands, so by the time
    > that the login is finished the CmdSN exchanged in the initial request is
    > invalid anyway.
    >
    > I would like to see something along the lines that for a non-leading
    > connection, the CmdSN field MUST be zero and that the connection can not be
    > considered part of the session until full feature phase is entered, at
    > which point any commands issued on the connection are now synchronised with
    > the session command sequence number as observed by all other existing
    > connections on the session.

    I thought login counted as a command, so it got its own command number, in
    the stream of all other commands. ??

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Fri May 10 13:18:29 2002