    Re: FCIP: Comment 120

    Slight modifications to the first sentence after Figure 4 (in section
    6.4) would seem to suffice for the requirement aspect.

    Change:

      The FCIP Entity is the connection interface point for the IP Network
      and is the owner of the IP Address and Well Known Port used to form
      TCP Connections.

    to:

      The FCIP Entity is the connection interface point for the IP Network
      and is the sole owner of at least one IP Address and Well Known Port
      used to form TCP Connections.

    The change from "owner" to "sole owner" addresses Mallikarjun's requirement
    issue, and the change from "one" to "at least one" addresses the FC-BB-2
    text posted by Murali.

    A new sentence can be added immediately following the sentence cited
    above to address the "why" issue.

    Add:

      The TCP Connection establishment algorithms in section 9.1 and FSF usage
      described in section 8.2 assume that TCP connect requests for a given
      FC/FCIP Entity pair are received via uniquely identifiable IP Address
      and Well Known Port.

    Thanks.

    .Ralph

    Black_David@emc.com wrote:

    > > >I also believe that the rough
    > > > consensus of the WG is not to change FCIP in this fashion.
    > >
    > > I am *not* advocating a change.  I am simply concerned that the FCIP
    > > text is neither ruling out certain possibilities explicitly,
    > > nor defining the
    > > architectural hooks to cater to all possibilities.  I'd be
    > > perfectly okay with
    > > a statement that states that each IP-TCP Address-Port belongs
    > > to exactly
    > > one Pair (though the text then should ideally say why).
    >
    > That's a reasonable request that I'm sure the FCIP draft editor
    > would be happy to accommodate.  The reason why is probably going
    > to be some version of simplicity.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > --David
    > David L. Black, Senior Technologist
    > EMC Corporation, 42 South St., Hopkinton, MA  01748
    > +1 (508) 249-6449 *NEW*      FAX: +1 (508) 497-8500
    > black_david@emc.com         Cell: +1 (978) 394-7754

Last updated: Fri May 10 10:18:56 2002
10048 messages in chronological order