    From: Dennis Young [mailto:dyoung@rhapsodynetworks.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, May 08, 2002 11:02 AM
    To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    Subject: iSCSI: ImmediateData negotiation

    I have a question on how a target should respond to
    "ImmediateData=Yes" from an initiator if the target
    doesn't support ImmediateData.  Here are two scenarios:

    Scenario 1:
    /* The target here only considers the value offered by the
     * initiator, if the value is not acceptable, it simply
     * rejects it rather than suggesting another value.
     */
    I->T: ImmediateData=Yes
    T->I: ImmediateData=Reject
    I->T: ImmediateData=No  /* Should initiator offer No? */
    T->I: ImmediateData=No

    Scenario 2:
    /* The target here simply returns a value it supports
     * without rejecting the value offered by the initiator.
     */
    I->T: ImmediateData=Yes
    T->I: ImmediateData=No
    I->T: ImmediateData=No  /* Should initiator reply No? */
    T->I: ImmediateData=No

    Based on section 4.2 of draft 12, I believe scenario 1 is correct, right?

    In addition, does the Result function of a text parameter (AND or OR) make a
    difference here?

    Thanks,
    Dennis

Last updated: Wed May 08 15:18:27 2002