    Re: iSCSI: question about numeric IPv6 addr

    IPV6 addresses are explicitly supported and you will find examples in the text - Julo

    Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@wasabisystems.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    04/30/2002 05:45 AM
    Please respond to Bill Studenmund

            To:        <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            cc:
            Subject:        iSCSI: question about numeric IPv6 addr

    When looking through appendix D (SendTargets), I noticed what looks like
    an IPv4-centric bit, in the TargetAddress part. Here's the text:

        Followed by zero or more address keys of the form:

          TargetAddress=<hostname-or-ipaddress>[:<tcp-port>],<portal-
            group-tag>

    The problem is that an optional :<tcp-port> is ambiguous for IPv6. You
    can't tell the port number from the tail of a valid IPv6 numeric address.

    Turns out RFC 2732, which we site, breaks the ambiguity by stating that an
    IPv6 address should be given surounded by literal brackets. i.e. something
    like '[::1]'. Thus port 3260 on localhost would be '[::1]:3270'.

    I'd like to suggest we add an explicit use of an IPv6 address, and also
    change the wording below:

        In the above example, a DNS host name could have been returned instead
        of an IP address, and that an IPv6 addresses (5 to 16 dotted-decimal
        numbers) could have also been returned.

    IPv6 doesn't use dotted-decimal numbers, it uses colon-separated
    hexadecimal ones.

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Wed May 01 13:18:36 2002