    Re: iSCSI: Delay on results of Consensus call -- DH-CHAP [Resend]

    Elizabeth,

    At the last IPS Security team phone call DH-CHAP was praised for being very well written but too "young" for a security protocol for us to make any decision.
    We are looking also for advise from other people within our communities.

    I spent some time reading the last several days all the submissions to the IEEE workgroup P1363 and I feel even more helpless -  there are submissions there that have a DH exchange and are far stronger that DH-CHAP at the same computational expense.

    Also the original 1993 Bellovin and Merritt paper on AKE covers mechanisms closely related to DH-CHAP and as I have no access to the alleged patents on all AKE protocols
    we have no clue if DH-CHAP will not be covered by those claims.

    Considering that we are not a security workgroup many of us feel that we should either choose a week authentication like CHAP as must and wait for IEEE to standardize one or more forms of AKE or stay with what we have now and that is SRP mandatory. I find it also very curious that the ADs seem to advise us against mandating a protocol that is already an RFC (SRP).  And again neither I nor IBM (as far as I know) have no vested interest in SRP - it seems to be the only AKE class protocol that has already undergone public scrutiny and it meets all our needs.

    Julo

    "Elizabeth G. Rodriguez" <Elizabeth.G.Rodriguez@123mail.net>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    04/28/2002 10:50 PM
    Please respond to "Elizabeth G. Rodriguez"