    Re: iSCSI 4.1 & 4.2

    The new text does not seem to have benefited at all
    from the concerns
    expressed just days ago in the thread named "iSCSI:
    Questions regarding
    text parameter 'Reject' and 'Irrelevant' usage".
    Luckily David Black
    already picked on many of those issues, so I'll just
    repeat what I still
    see as not addressed.

    > text-value: a string defined by the regular
    statement
    > "[][a-zA-Z0-9.-+@_/\[\]=]*"

    Why is each of the square brackets mentioned twice in
    the character class?

    > All negotiations are stateless and explicit...

    We should get rid of boolean value omission. Otherwise
    let's not call
    it "explicit". Most everybody objects to calling it
    "stateless", so
    that should go, too.

    > In list negotiation, the originator sends a list of
    values
    > (which may include "None") for each key in its order
    of preference.

    Can we drop "for each key" here? We're already
    concentrating on
    one particular key here, I presume, one that allows
    list negotiations.

    > If a responder does not support, does not understand
    > or is not allowed to use all of the offered options
    with a specific
    > originator...

    This sentence can easily be parsed not the way it was
    intended, because
    of the word "all". (I don't have to be able to use
    "all" of the offered
    text-values, being able to use one suffices!).

    "Options" have not been defined.

    > The selection of a
    > value not admissible under the selection rules is
    considered a
    > negoti-ation failure and is handled accordingly.

    Need a clarification of what is "not admissible under
    the selection rules".

    Need a clarification on "handled accordingly".

    > For simple-value negotiations, the responding party
    MUST respond
    > with the required key.

    What's a "required key"? Has to respond with the same
    key?
    Then this should have been the case for all kinds of
    negotiations, including
    list negotiations above and all the other kinds below.
    Can we specify
    so higher up or drop this sentence altogether, since
    we seem to be focusing
    on values, not on keys here and this is certainly not
    a simpe-value specific
    thing?

    > The rules for selecting the value with which to
    respond are
    > expressed as Boolean functions of the value received
    and the value
    > that the responding party would select in the
    absence of knowledge of
    > the received value.

    If we cannot require explicit Boolean negotiations,
    let's at least fix
    the wording here. I consider it logically incorrect,
    please see
    http://www.pdl.cmu.edu/mailinglists/ips/mail/msg09755.html

    > If a specific key is not relevant for the current
    negotiation, the
    > responder may answer with the constant "Irrelevant"
    for all types of
    > negotiation.  However the negotiation is not
    considered as failed if
    > the response is Irrelevant.

    Is it considered "failed" if the response is "Reject"?
    What value should each party settle on for this key?
    May this key appear again in the same negotiation
    sequence?

    I'll repeat again that I think the use of Irrelevant
    should be disallowed
    (no parameter dependencies currently in the
    operational stage anyway).

    In general, I'd like the text to address the questions
    posted in the
    above mentioned thread. Namely, which keys may be
    repeated?
    The ones answered with Reject? The ones answered with
    Irrelevant?
    Any others? If there are situations when the key may
    be offered again
    in the same negotiation sequence, can we have an
    explanation of why this
    is a good thing (so far I don't see the point)?

       Martins Krikis, Intel Corp.

    Disclaimer: these are my opinions and may not be those
    of my employer