    DH-CHAP

    POST to IP Storage working group
    ----------------------------------
    Just had a look at DH-CHAP protocol.
    Assume the following is the correct formulation of DH-CHAP.
    Then I suspect it is not secure against active off-line dictionary
    attacks.

    My understanding of DH-CHAP protocol:

    1. initiator->target: requesting for service
    2. target->initiator: ID, g^x, r, (where r and x are random)
    3. initiator->target: g^y, H(password, ID, H(ID, r, g^xy))

    The attack:
    When the attacker Carol intercepts the first message from the initiator
    to the target: "requesting for service". Carol will impersonate
    target and send her g^x and r to target (which she knows x and r).
    (at the same time, Carol may mount a DoS attack to block target from
    responding)
    Now initiator will think that this g^x and r coming from the target
    and will generate g^y and H(password, ID, H(r, ID, g^xy)) to target.
    Carol will intercept this message and send
    a device busy or other nice formated message to initiator (thus
    initiator thinks a normal error has happened).

    Obviously, from the data x, r, g^y and H(password, ID, H(ID, r, g^xy))
    available
    to Carol, she can mount an off-line dictionary attack.

    Disclaimer: This attack is only based on my understanding of the DH-CHAP
    protocol
    as stated above in a simplified version.
    If my understanding of the DH-CHAP is incorrect. The attack may not work..

    If you have any interest in revising DH-CHAP to get a secure version,
    I may spend some time to help you on this matter...

    Best regards,
    Yongge
    (I am personally responsible for my post)

    http://cs.uwm.edu/~wang/