    Re: iSCSI - CmdSN and Retry

    The initiator has to timeout and resend (see chapter 6). Julo

    Rohit B <b_rohitb@yahoo.com>
    Sent by: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    05-04-02 09:00
    Please respond to Rohit B

            To:        iSCSI <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
            cc:
            Subject:        iSCSI -  CmdSN and Retry

    Hello,
      Please consider the scenario described below

    CmdSN (I)                  ExpCmdSN (T)

     1  ---------------------->
      <------------------------  2

     2  ---------------------->
      <------------------------  3

     3  ---------------------->
      <------------------------  4

     4  ---------------------->
      <------------------------  5

    This would be the order of processing if none of the
    packets were lost. If for example the packet with
    CmdSN = 2 was lost, but the others were received at
    the Target

    CmdSN (I)                  ExpCmdSN (T)

     1  ---------------------->
      <------------------------  2

     2  ----------dropped packet

     3  ---------------------->

     4  ---------------------->

    The draft says that  "With the exception of the
    commands marked for immediate delivery, the iSCSI
    target layer MUST deliver the commands for execution
    in the order specified by CmdSN." (Pg 30 draft 11).
    This means that the target cannot process cmds 3 and 4
    until it gets cmd 2. Is this interpretation correct?

                    If YES,can the target acknowledge to the initiator
    the receipt of cmds 3 and 4? If so, how? or is it the
    responsibility of the initiator to timeout and retry
    commands 2,3 and 4. This may be wasteful as 3 and 4
    have already reached the target.

    Thanks,
    Rohit