    RE: iscsi: CRN support not required. [was :Re: [Fwd: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting]]

    We agree here - this is the problem. I view the definition as wrong (I don't
    see much relevance of CRN to FC as a transport, only in the mapping of SCSI
    onto FC).

    > but in spite of that people are trying to assign end to end
    > semantics to it across transport converting bridges.  This is an
    > effort akin to squaring the circle.

    Or ... to righting a wrong.

    > I don't see that hypothetical iSCSI modepages have anything to offer
    > to solve this problem.  Until and unless T10 decides to make CRN a
    > transport INdependent thing with consistenly defined semantics across
    > all transports, it is inescapable that bridges have to get directly
    > involved -- and CRN will not be end to end.

    If T10 were to make CRN transport INdependent that worked across all
    transports (FC as well as iSCSI), that'd be great. In the mean time, we
    could choose to have "consistently defined semantics across" at least FC and
    iSCSI (through iSCSI mode pages). We could choose not to, of course, and
    leave it to the bridges. It is a choice, though - it's not an inescapable
    truth.

    Santosh's suggestion is even more ambitious - that the whole mode page thing
    should be re-looked at. I don't know whether this is a good idea or not -
    but I hope that devices that are trying to bridge transports (a tough enough
    thing to begin with) aren't also going to be saddled with trying to right a
    whole lot of wrongs that occurred in the upper layers as well.

    > 	 paul

    Regards,
    Rob

Last updated: Tue Apr 02 19:18:15 2002