    RE: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting

    2nd try, havn't seen first post...

    Howdy Santosh,
    Comments on your comments below...
    Dave

    The point is that iSCSI command retry (not an OS retry) does not work
    following an abort.

    > > 6. Text stating that a TMF=Abort Task must be issued for each
    > outstanding
    > > command. (Clause 6.7)
    >
    > What does this mean (?). Could you elaborate further on this. 6.7
    > defines what action should be taken by an initiator on a SCSI timeout,
    > which occurs on a per-command basis and is dealt with individually for
    > each command.
    >
    > Where do the remaining outstanding commands come into the picture,
    > unless, you're proposing that something like the FC second level error
    > recovery be performed, on failure of the abort (?).

    See Julians reply.

    > > 7. Targets MUST support the command retry functionality. Don't
    > think this
    > > functionality provides much benefit in its current state.
    > > Consider this case:
    > > a. tape locate command is issued with a 10 second ULP timer
    > > b. command is dropped at the target due to a digest error
    > > c. having seen no status for 8 seconds (for example) the iSCSI initiator
    > > decides to retry the command.
    > >
    > > What happens with the timer on the first command? If it is not
    > canceled, and
    > > if status is not received within 2 seconds, an abort for the
    > command will be
    > > issued by the ULP.
    >
    > Agreed. This is an issue in some cases, since not enough I/O time would
    > be available for the retry. However, the selection of the initial
    > command retry timeout value (when the initiator determines that the
    > cmdsn has not been acknowledged for a long enough period and decides to
    > retry the command) and the decision on whether to retry should be taken
    > by the initiator driver, based on how much ULP time remains for that
    > I/O.
    >
    > (Again, this logic is mostly O.S. driver specific.)
    >

    > > dap: a mechanism to initiate error detection/recovery would be
    > beneficial.
    >
    > Could you expand on this some more ?

    I would think the command retry logic is iSCSI driver specific, not OS
    driver specific.

    A mechanism to determine whether or not the command arrived at the target
    would be beneficail for the retry functionality to be useful.
    The mechanism should be initiated early enough in the ULP timeout window to
    allow the iSCSI retried command the opportunity to complete.

    Some options:

    A. If the initiator issues a NOP-Out(immed=1), the target can send back the
    expected CmdSN.

    B. The target, upon a header digest error, sent back a reject or NOP-In with
    the expected CmdSN. This would provide an indication to the initiator that
    something happened and trigger the command retry, still hopefully within the
    ULP timeout to allow for sucessful command completion.

    C. Texting stating that an iSCSI initiator should (only) perform a command
    retry when sufficient time remains for the command to completed. But, this
    leads one down the path of device type specific behavior.

    D. Remove the command retry functionality. I have yet to see it actually
    being used. The use of command retry is really only applicable when header
    digests are being used. Given TCP, probability of header digest usage, and
    existing ULP tools for error detection and recovery, my preference is to
    remove it. This should also remove clause 8.3 from the iSCSI spec:)

    > > 8. CRN Processing and behavior: spec currently references SAM-2 for CRN.
    > >
    > > Per SAM-2:
    > > Command Reference Number (CRN):
    > > When this argument is used, all sequential commands of an I_T_L
    > nexus shall
    > > include a CRN argument that is incremented by one. The initial,
    > wrap, and
    > > reset CRN values shall be one. The CRN value zero shall be
    > reserved for use
    > > as defined by the SCSI protocol. It is not an error for the application
    > > client to provide this argument when CRN is not supported by the SCSI
    > > protocol or logical unit.
    > >
    > > More text specifying the behavior of CRN in the iSCSI realm is
    > needed. In
    > > addition, a method to determine if CRN is being used (or not)
    > is missing.
    >
    > We went through this discussion several months ago in another ips
    > thread. CRN really belongs to the SCSI ULP and any mechanism to check if
    > the device server supports CRN should be in a SCSI ULP mode page (like
    > the Control Mode Page).
    >
    > As far as iscsi is concerned, both the iscsi initiator and target
    > implementations MUST support CRN, since it is defined in iscsi command
    > pdu.
    >
    > Why is such a method required at the SCSI LLP layer ?

    CRN is in a protocol specific LUN mode page because it is protocol specific
    at this time
    (e.g., it is not applicable to parallel SCSI, SRP currently does not support
    it).

    iSCSI has a field for the CRN, but provides no text regarding its use, other
    than the reference to SAM-2.
    The semantics for CRN are defined in FCP-2 clause 4.3. Most of the text
    could possibly be rolled into SAM-3,
    but some is still FCP specific, item d):

    d) The initiator shall not transmit the same CRN again until delivery of the
    first FCP_CMND IU transmitted
    with that CRN has been confirmed by receipt of an FCP_XFER_RDY IU, an
    FCP_DATA IU, an
    FCP_RSP IU, an ACK, or a response to an REC.

    But, I could probably generalize the above text.

    My concern is with existing FCP-2 compliant implementations that are
    bridged/gatwayed into the iSCSI realm.

    Dave

    > --
    > Santosh Rao