    Re: IPSEC target and transport mode

    • To: ips@ece.cmu.edu
    • Subject: Re: IPSEC target and transport mode
    • From: Jason R Thorpe <thorpej@wasabisystems.com>
    • Date: Wed, 27 Mar 2002 11:11:06 -0800
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    First of all, I'm new to the list (my subscription request is pending
    approval right now, so please CC me explicitly on any replies..)

    Sigh, every time I see a discussion of this nature, it makes me wish that
    IPsec Tunnel Mode didn't even exist...

    I really don't like this idea.  While it is true that Tunnel Mode
    does not require the use of a gateway, Transport Mode is actually
    the more general mode.

    It is possible to combine Transport Mode with any arbitrary something-in-IP
    tunneling protocol (IP-IP, GRE, etc.).  In the case of Transport Mode +
    IP-IP tunneling, you achieve something that is equivalent to Tunnel Mode,
    thus satisfying those who need it (I suggest that everyone read
    draft-touch-ipsec-vpn-03.txt).

    Transport Mode is also less expensive from a processing point of view.
    If you use Tunnel Mode with no gateway (i.e. inner-dest==outer-dest,
    outer-source==inner-source), you still have to de-encap the packet and
    re-process it, which is something you don't have to do in Transport Mode.

Last updated: Wed Mar 27 18:18:18 2002
9355 messages in chronological order