    RE: [Fwd: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting]

    • To: "IPS Reflector" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: RE: [Fwd: iSCSI: items discussed at WG meeting]
    • From: "Elliott, Robert" <Robert.Elliott@compaq.com>
    • Date: Tue, 26 Mar 2002 09:30:00 -0600
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Don't assume that every new SCSI protocol will support CRN -
    SRP does not, for one.  Logical units on protocols that
    do not will not support the Control mode page bit (leaving
    it 0).

    Are you going to write a proposal for CAP to add a bit to
    the Control mode page?

    This two-level approach still leaves a hole for current
    FCP-2 applications/targets, which don't yet know about the
    Control mode page bit:

    LU Control bit on, Control bit on => CRN in use
    LU Control bit on, Control bit off => no CRN
      existing targets don't implement the Control mode page bit;
      existing applications assume the LU Control page suffices
      to enable CRN.

    LU Control bit off, Control bit off => no CRN
    LU Control bit off, Control bit on => illegal

    While iSCSI applications/targets will have a simpler matrix:
    Control bit on => CRN
    Control bit off => no CRN

    ---
    Rob Elliott, Compaq Server Storage