    Re: iSCSI: Re: range separator

    On Thu, 21 Mar 2002, Luben Tuikov wrote:

    > Eddy Quicksall wrote:
    > >
    > > That would be ok for something like an expression parser but our parser
    > > should be very simple minded and it is better if it is not context
    > > sensitive. It is the same idea as "don't use two characters".
    >
    > Context: are you parsing ``MaxConnections=3''
    > or ``3''. You see, your parser is already
    > context sensitive.
    >
    > As iSCSI grows, undoubtedly each parameter/variable
    > will be handled by it's own string value parser,

    Well, there probably won't be that many parsers. One set-of-numbers parser
    can be used for all the number-expecting cases.

    > and _THEN_ you'd abstractize into
    >  integer value, or
    >  string value, or
    >  range.
    >
    > Note, that a range is
    > a string (we know this already) of
    > free grammar (stripped down version :-).
    >
    > Philosophically, the debate is whether to use
    > 1 character or many.
    >
    > I vote for just a single char. Anywhich one.

    Agreed.

    > Using a different character to tell us that
    > this string denotes a range is not quite a
    > solution here. E.g.:
    >
    > MaxConnections=3<your range symbol here>10
    >
    > So the Target will know that it is a range,
    > but it doesn't matter... it will have to check
    > the context anyway...

    Won't the parser already have to have figured out the context anyway? We
    have to know if the key is: 1) valid, and 2) appropriate for this phase
    already, don't we? After figuring that out, is it hard to know if we
    expect a string or one or more numbers?

    Take care,

    Bill

Last updated: Thu Mar 21 21:18:14 2002