    Re: ISCSI: need to fix handling of partial data transfers

    Device operation is not in the iSCSI domain.  You can find the information
    you need in SCSI.
    It comes complete with device type, capabilities, alignment required(if
    any), block sizes and much more (enough to fill many pages for every device
    class).  If you want the information you require just ask for it by SCSI
    means.
    A perusal of the SCSI standards for several classes of devices might help.

    Julo

                          Paul Koning
                          <ni1d@arrl.net>          To:       Julian Satran/Haifa/IBM@IBMIL
                          Sent by:                 cc:       ips@ece.cmu.edu
                          owner-ips@ece.cmu        Subject:  Re: ISCSI: need to fix handling of partial data
                          .edu                      transfers

                          16-03-02 18:24
                          Please respond to
                          Paul Koning

    Excerpt of message (sent 16 March 2002) by Julian Satran:

    > Paul,
    >
    > We have different opinions on basics.
    > If I enter into an appliance shop and ask for a bottle of milk - I get an
    > "error message".
    > It may fall in one of two categories:
    >
    >    "protocol error" (in humanes - "you are an idiot")
    >    "we don't keep milk"
    >

    > I agreed that the first was not nice and I will change it.
    > But there are errors from which you have no recovery - the devices can't
    > work with each other.

    I think we're actually pretty much in agreement here.

    My point is this:

    Right now the spec says "you can ask for milk in an appliance store,
    but the shopkeeper is allowed to tell you 'no'".  I'm proposing to say
    "you cannot ask for milk in an appliance store".

    The outcome is the same either way: the devices discover that they
    can't talk to each other.  But the second rule is simpler.

    So that's why I proposed to make the rule "you must answer with
    exactly the data length asked for (R2T) or negotiated (unsolicited
    data length)".

         paul

Last updated: Mon Mar 18 09:18:15 2002
9175 messages in chronological order