    RE: iSCSI: Use of the A bit

    To any specific user, performance is judged by their own performance not
    the performance of the link or the storage controller over all.

    When you read an at-distance disk, and its performance sucks, because of a
    Send and Ack design, you will not have good things to say about iSCSI.  And
    it is not easy to tell what the problem is.  And it is not really possible
    for a customer to determine before purchase that he is buying a poorly
    designed target HBA or chip.  In fact they may have tested it out in a
    local environment and found it OK, and then when contacted by a remote
    initiator, that remote unit is very disappointed.  This gives everyone a
    bad name.  Even if the Links are well used and the overall efficiency of
    the storage controller good, if the individual performance is bad, iSCSI
    will be seen to be bad.

    Send and Ack designs are bad designs, and in almost all cases are not
    needed.  And it gives iSCSI a bad name in the environment we have been
    claiming as our own, the at-distance environment.

    .
    .
    .
    John L. Hufferd
    Senior Technical Staff Member (STSM)
    IBM/SSG San Jose Ca
    Main Office (408) 256-0403, Tie: 276-0403,  eFax: (408) 904-4688
    Home Office (408) 997-6136, Cell: (408) 499-9702
    Internet address: hufferd@us.ibm.com

    Martins Krikis <mkrikis@yahoo.com>@ece.cmu.edu on 03/15/2002 01:45:14 PM

    Sent by:    owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu