    FCIP: review comments - 2

    • To: "ips" <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • Subject: FCIP: review comments - 2
    • From: "Mallikarjun C." <cbm@rose.hp.com>
    • Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 19:42:26 -0800
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Some more comments on rev9, excuse me if some/all these were earlier
    discussed by the design team.
    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture
    Network Storage Solutions Organization
    Hewlett-Packard MS 5668
    Roseville CA 95747
    cbm@rose.hp.com

    > 6.6.1 FCIP Encapsulation of FC Frames
    >    The CRCV (CRC Valid) Flag SHALL be set to 0.
    >
    >    The CRC field SHALL be set to 0.

    I am surprised that the FCIP encapsulated header is never protected
    by a CRC.  The error detection section clearly acknowledges the
    possibility that TCP checksum could be inadequate for certain
    deployments - and even suggests checking the FC frame CRC (sort
    of like a data digest) on reception at the Encapsulated Frame Receiver
    Portal.

    My recommendation is to require an FCIP Entity to employ the header
    CRC if the SF that it receives asks for CRC - IOW, similar to iSCSI's
    approach.  So, I guess I am also advocating a new bit in the pFlags field
    to announce this.  When this CRC expectation is announced, the FC CRC
    checking test in 6.6.2.2 should also be a mandatory test - from the
    "semi-optional" list it is currently in.

    > 6.6.2 FCIP Data Engine Error Detection and Recover

    The last word in the above should be "Recovery".

    > 6.6.2.1 TCP Assistance With Error Detection and Recovery
    >Thus, the byte stream passed from TCP to
    >    the FCIP_LEP will be in order and free of errors detectable by the
    >    TCP checksum. If TCP did not perform these functions, the FCIP_LEP
    >    would have to.

    Suggest rewording the last sentence (TCP always performs these functions
    to *its* satisfaction, the question is if FCIP feels the same; secondly, FCIP_LEP's
    error mgmt behavior is not dynamically contingent upon TCP's behavior as this
    sentence implies) -
      "To address the possibility that TCP did not perform these functions adequately
        in a given FCIP deployment context, the FCIP_LEP verifies if these expectations
        are met."

    > 6.6.2.2 Errors in FCIP Headers and Discarding FCIP Frames

    >    Further, some errors in the encapsulation will result in the FCIP_DE
    >    losing synchronization with the FCIP frames in the byte stream

    I don't see "frames" here with the uppercase "F" used everywhere else.

    Also, one observation is that FCEncap document uses "frames" consistently
    throughout, whereas this document chooses to use uppercase "F" (mostly).

    >    1)  Length field validation -- 15 < Length < 545;

    I assume "Frame Length" is meant by "Length" above.

    > 6.6.2.3 Synchronization Failures
    >
    >    If an FCIP_DE determines that it cannot find the next FCIP Frame
    >    header in the byte stream entering through the Encapsulated Frame
    >    Receiver Portal, the FCIP_DE SHALL either:

    S/b "either" w/ "do one of the following".

    >    b)  recover synchronization by searching the bytes delivered by the
    >        Encapsulated Frame Receiver Portal for a valid FCIP Frame header
    >        having the correct properties

    Useful to refer to 6.6.2.2 here for "correct properties".

    > 7. Checking FC Frame Transit Times in the IP Network
    >    requirement in the FC Entity is based on a desire to include the

    S/b "in"  w/  "on"

    >    Frame. If no synchronized time stamp value is available to accompany
    >    the entering FC Frame a value of zero SHALL be supplied.

    From this, it isn't clear to me if FCIP *requires* only Synchronized operation.
    If so, the draft should also specify how implementations are expected to
    deal with "benign" transitions into and out of the Unsynchronized state (i.e.
    transitions happening when no Encapsulated Frames are being received).

    >    The FC Entity SHALL
    >    verify that the FC Entity it is communicating with on an FCIP Link
    >    is using the same synchronized time source as it is, either Fibre
    >    Channel services or SNTP server.

    I see a chicken-and-egg problem for some implementations:  Since Fibre
    Channel time services are not available until the FCIP Link is successfully
    set up and since timestamp is to be carried on every FC Frame (including
    those Fibre Channel time service exchanges) once the Link is set up, the only
    decent option for an implementation (assuming it suppots only Synchronized
    operation) is to rely on SNTP server.  Is this correct?

    If Unsynchronized operation is intended to be disallowed (my earlier
    question), then it seems to me that SNTP is the only option.

    > 8. The FCIP Special Frame

    >    The FCIP Special Frame SHALL only be sent as the first bytes
    >    transmitted in each direction on a newly formed TCP Connection and
    >    only one FCIP Special Frame SHALL be transmitted in each direction.

    A general comment on this wording (and others similar to this).   I would
    suggest rewording (to be much stronger) to:

    The FCIP Special Frame SHALL be the first application data exchanged on
    each newly formed TCP connection, and only one FCIP Special Frame SHALL
    be transmitted in each direction.

    >    Note: The combination of the Source FC Entity World Wide Name and
    >    Source FCIP Entity Identifier fields uniquely identifies every FC
    >    Entity FCIP Entity pair in the IP Network.

    - S/b "Source FCIP Entity Identifier" w/ "Source FC/FCIP Entity Identifier"

    - Also I take it that the "FC/FCIP Entity Identifier" is unique only within the
      scope of the given FC Entity's WWN.  So, does the model allow multiple
      FCIP Entities to be associated with the FC Fabric Entity WWN?

    - From this statement, it implies to me that the Destination FC/FCIP Entity
      Identifier must be present in the special frame to ensure that the TCP connection
      is indeed established to the right "FC/FCIP Entity" under the scope of the
      given Destination FC Fabric Entity WWN.  What am I missing?

    >    The Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field MAY contain

    Why isn't the above requirement a SHALL?

    > 9.1.2.2 Dynamic Creation of New TCP Connections

    >     - The expected Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name of the
    >       FC Entity FCIP Entity pair to which the TCP Connection is being
    >       made
    >     - TCP Connection Parameters (see section 9.3)
    >     - Quality of Service Information (see section 11)
    >
    >    Based on this information, the FCIP Entity SHALL generate a TCP
    >    connect request [8] to the FCIP Well-Known Port of 3225 (or other
    >    configuration specific port number) at the IP Address specified by
    >    the service advertisement. If the TCP connect request is rejected,
    >    act to limit unnecessary repetition of attempts to establish similar
    >    connections. If the TCP connect request is accepted, the FCIP Entity
    >    SHALL follow the steps described in section 9.1.2.3 to complete the
    >    establishment of a new FCIP_DE.
    >
    >    It is recommended that an FCIP Entity not initiate TCP connect
    >    requests to another FCIP Entity if incoming TCP connect requests
    >    from that FCIP Entity have already been accepted.

    This entire text is duplicated from previous section 9.1.2.1.  Seems like
    we could do with one instance (possibly in a new subsection).

    > 9.1.2.3 Connection Setup After a Successful TCP Connect Request

    >All fields in the FCIP Special
    >    Frame SHALL be filled in as described in section 8, particularly:

    While the sentence above is unequivocally clear, I don't understand the need
    for all the text that follows "particularly"....  It is confusingly repetitive since as far
    as I can tell, all these are covered in more or less the same language in section 8.

    >    After the FCIP Special Frame bytes are sent on the newly formed
    >    connection, the FCIP Entity SHALL wait for the FCIP Special Frame to
    >    be echoed as the first bytes received on the newly formed connection.

    - S/b "bytes are" w/ "is"
    - S/b "first bytes" w/ "first TCP segment data"
    - I take it that the onus is on the FCIP Entity that did the TCP active open
      to send the SF.  That leads me to: What if there's a TCP simultaneous open?
      Would not each end end up sending the SF and waiting for the echo?  Also,
      would not the earlier rule on only one frame being transferred in each
      direction be violated then?

    >    If the echoed FCIP Special Frame bytes do not exactly match the FCIP
    >    Special Frame bytes sent (words 7 through 17 inclusive), the FCIP
    >    Entity SHALL close the TCP Connection and notify the FC Entity with
    >    the reason for the closure.

    Seems like all the 11 words are required to be compared. If so, what is the
    Ch bit being used for?  IOW, why SHALL it be set by the responder?

    > 9.1.3 Processing Incoming TCP Connect Requests
    >
    >    The FCIP Entity SHALL listen for new TCP Connection requests [8] on
    >    the FCIP Well-Known Port (3225). An FCIP Entity MAY also accept and
    >    establish TCP Connections to a TCP port number other than the FCIP
    >    Well-Known Port, as configured by the network administrator.

    It may be useful to add that this usage is outside the scope of this document.

    >    The FCIP Entity SHALL determine the following information about the
    >    requested connection:
    >
    >     - Whether the requested connection is allowed

    I take it that by means not specified in this spec?  If so, it's useful to call
    it out.

    >    abort the TCP connect request [8]. If the requested connection is

    I was told that "abort" isn't available on all implementations - perhaps
    "abort/close" would be better....

    >    The FCIP Entity MAY apply a timeout of not less than 90 seconds to
    >    the waiting for the FCIP Special Frame bytes and if the timeout
    >    expires the FCIP Entity SHALL close the TCP Connection and notify
    >    the FC Entity with the reason for the closure.

    I am not clear why this notification is required, since the local FC Entity did
    not motivate the TCP connection establishment.  If it is intended for logging,
    perhaps notifying the Control & Services module would be more appropriate.

    >    If the Connection Nonce field contains a value identical to the most
    >    recently received Connection Nonce from the same IP Address, the
    >    FCIP Entity SHALL close the TCP Connection and notify the FC Entity
    >    with the reason for the closure.

    Same comment.

    >    1)  Leave the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field and
    >        Ch bit both 0;

    So allow the FCIP Link to be established?  It is unclear to me how implementations
    adopting this option would be able to prevent unintended FCIP Link formation.

    >    2)  Change the Destination FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name field to
    >        match FC Fabric Entity World Wide Name associated with the FCIP
    >        Entity that received the TCP connect request and change the Ch
    >        bit to 1; or

    In effect, this is being indirectly allowed as a legal discovery process.  Is
    there a DoS concern here?  Also, would revealing the FC WWN be acceptable
    in confidentiality terms?

    >    3)  Close the TCP Connection without sending any response.

    I like this option best, :-)

    > 10.2 FC Fabric and IP Network Deployment Models
    >        Entities in an equal manner. This varies from a true Client-

    S/b "varies" w/ "differs".

Last updated: Sun Mar 17 16:18:20 2002
9163 messages in chronological order