    RE: iSCSI: Use of the A bit

     John> I like this response.  I think it is correct and the best
     John> response so far on this topic.

    I think it's essentially correct, see below.  I agree with the
    conclusion.

     >> "BURBRIDGE,MATTHEW (HP-UnitedKingdom,ex2)"
     >> <matthew_burbridge@hp.com> @ece.cmu.edu on 03/13/2002 10:39:27
     >> AM

     >> The target is quite within its rights to use the A bit when at
     >> recovery level 0.  If the session is re-established due to
     >> recovery 7.11.4 then the relevant command is aborted anyway and
     >> so there is no reason to keep hold of the data any way: With
     >> recovery level 0 there is no recovery mechanism that requires
     >> the target to keep the data.  Therefore the A bit is redundant
     >> when the recovery level is 0.

     >> The spec says that the initiator MUST issue a SNACK if the A
     >> bit is set.  However, the MaxBurstSize restriction is there to
     >> prevent the initiator from having to send a SNACK on every PDU
     >> in the case where a target inadvertently sets the A bit in (for
     >> example) every data in PDU. The target may set the A bit more
     >> often than the MaxBurstSize but it should not expect a SNACK
     >> more often than this.

    The spec says that the target MUST NOT set the A it more often that
    MaxBurstSize.  If it does, that would be a protocol violation.  Is is
    perfectly reasonable for the initiator to ignore A bits that are
    protocol violations; even if the spec had not stated so explicitly,
    that would have been true.

         paul

Last updated: Thu Mar 14 10:18:15 2002
9118 messages in chronological order