    FCEncap: review comments

    Some comments on rev6, excuse me if some/all these were earlier
    discussed by the design team.

    - Section 3.1, page 4.  For the Protocol# values for FCIP and iFCP, the Annex B
       should instead be referred.

    - Section 3.1, pages 4 & 5.  I notice that all the ones complement fields (-Protocol#,
       -Version etc) are described as "contains the ones complement" as opposed to "SHALL
       contain ones complement", whereas the corresponding non-1's complement fields
       have the SHALL wording.  Any reasons for this distinction?

    - Section 3.1, page 5, CRCV bit description.
            "Some protocols may always check the CRC without regard for the state of this bit."
       I am troubled by the literal implication of this sentence.  Why would that be so?
       Would the encapsulating protocol not mandate CRCV to be set to valid
       always instead?  It seems like the purpose of defining a common encapsulation
       format and associated semantics is watered down for no stated reason....

    - Section 3.2.1, page 7.  S/b "step wise" w/ "stepwise".

    - Section 4, page 7.
           "The protocol SHALL specify whether or not implementation support is
             required."
       A general comment on usage of the term "protocol" here and in other areas -
       I would recommend using "encapsulating protocol" instead to make it easier
       (or perhaps use "Protocol" may be...) for the reader to follow the usage.

    - Section 4, page 8.  Since there is no mention of a notification frame to announce
       an entity's transition into/out of the Synchronized state, I assume it's possible and
       even anticipated that there may be times when one of the two entities may be
       in Unsynchronized state even while the operational encapsulating protocol requires
       Synchronized operation.  The expectation is that the state rules (and encapsulating
       protocol-specified rules) should cause this type of start-up/transient sceanario to
       be correctly sorted out.  Is that right?

    - I think it might be useful to add a statement in this section along the lines of -
       If the encapsulating protocol mandates Synchronized operation, the entity MUST
       NOT accept TCP connections on the well-known port(s) unless the entity is in the
       Synchronized state.

    - Section 4, page 9, Synchronized state rules.  I think this should also address what
       is to be done in case there's a case of "bad synchronization" when Time Stamp
       words are valid.  For ex., when the received value is smaller than the received
       entity's timebase, I assume it would result in arriving at a huge transit time.  While the
       huge transit time may cause the frame to be discarded, it isn't clear to me what
       may cause the TCP connection drop and a re-synch.

    - Section 4, page9, Synchronized state rules.
       "If both Time Stamp words have a value of zero, the receiving
         entity SHALL process the de-encapsulated frame without
         computing the transit time. The disposition of the frame and
         any other actions by the recipient SHALL be defined by the
         protocol specification."

       I am rather perplexed by the usage of the words here.  While saying
       that the frame shall be "processed", this also seems to leave it up to
       the encapsulating protocol to define if it needs to be processed (as
       reaffirmed by rule (e) in Annex A).  One change that makes it clear to me is:
        S/b "SHALL process the de-encapsulated frame"
          w/ "SHALL de-encapsulate the frame".

    - It may be useful to add informative references to FCIP and iFCP.

    - Section 9, page 13.  S/b "no long working" w/ "no longer working".

    - Annex B, page 15.  It isn't clear to me from this sentence if the
       Protocol# values (1 & 2) are temporarily assigned by this draft for
       now.

        "Standards action on this RFC should be accompanied by IANA
         assignment of the following two Protocol# values:"

    --
    Mallikarjun

    Mallikarjun Chadalapaka
    Networked Storage Architecture