    RE: CmdSN, StatSN initial value?

    • To: "Martins Krikis" <mkrikis@yahoo.com>
    • Subject: RE: CmdSN, StatSN initial value?
    • From: "Martin, Nick" <Nick.Martin@compaq.com>
    • Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 18:00:31 -0600
    • Cc: <ips@ece.cmu.edu>
    • content-class: urn:content-classes:message
    • Sender: owner-ips@ece.cmu.edu

    Martins,

    The initial CmdSN to be used in a session is selected by the initiator
    and transmitted in the first login PDU of the first connection.

    The initial StatSN is selected by the target and transmitted in the
    login response PDU for the initial login request of the connection.

    The starting number for each is arbitrary.  Zero is not an unusual
    choice.  The recipient of the PDU is required to extract the value and
    begin using it.  There is no validation of the contents on an initial
    login.

    Note that CmdSN is session wide, while StatSN is per connection.

    These are described in the Login Request and Login Response sections at
    9.12.8 and 9.13.4 in draft 11.

    Thanks,
    Nick

    -- You'll have to work hard to ask more "stupid questions" than I do.