    RE: iSCSI: Question: ISID Rule?

    > > It's the SCSI device that is the comparison point, so you
    > > are comparing the iSCSI node name of the two entities to
    > > determine if they are "the same".
    >
    > Then this implies that a session is uniquely identified by
    > (InitiatorName, TargetName).

    No, a session is uniquely identified by the combination of initiator name,
    target name, and SSID.  It is also uniquely identified by the combination of
    initiator port name (initiator node name+ISID) and target port name (target
    node name+PGT), since there can be only one session between a given pair of
    ports.  There can be multiple sessions between an initiator and a target
    node, but only via different port combinations.

    > Then for a new connection at the target:

    I think you mean "when a login request is received at the target", since a
    login request can be either a "new connection", or an attempt to recover an
    existing connection?

    >  i) TSID!=0 provides implicit uniqueness,
    >     since a new connection will be added,
    >     if the session already exists.

    I don't know what you're driving at?  I can't see where TSID!=0 provides
    uniqueness, implicit or otherwise.

    If an initiator sends a login request w/TSID!=0 on a new connection pair, it
    must be trying to add a connection to a session, assuming all other points
    of comparison are equal (initiator name, target name, ISID, TSID, target
    portal group).

    > ii) TSID=0, implies that there does NOT exist
    >     a session with the given TargetName, InitatorName
    >     and ISID given in the Login Request PDU, else close the
    >     connection.

    It implies that the initiator does not think a session currently exists
    between the initiator and target ports identified by the login request.  If
    a session does exist (from the targets viewpoint), the target should
    terminate that session as the initiator has lost all state information for
    that "old" session, and create a new session.

    See section 4.3.5 Session Reinstatement in draft 11 for further explanation.

Last updated: Fri Mar 08 12:18:09 2002
9043 messages in chronological order